Dr Puvan Arul Arumugam
Dr Puvan Arul is currently a Consultant Otorhinolaryngologist and Head & Neck Surgeon at Columbia Asia Hospital Tebrau, Johor Bahru. He completed his early education in King George the Fifth secondary school, Seremban. He graduated successfully from University Sains Malaysia in 2002 and completed his post-graduate training in similar settings in 2014. His many years of training in Ear, Nose and Throat speciality in a Malaysian government hospital had led him to be equipped with experience to handle cases of different levels of challenges. Dr Puvan is very committed to providing individualised expert ENT care for each patient to help them obtain the best outcomes from their surgeries. His practice prides itself on dedicated personal care and attention, and exceptional surgical results.
His specialist interest is in otology (the study of the ear). He had adopted a minimally invasive endoscopic method in surgery of ears as this would be the future of otology surgery.
He converses well in English, Malay and Tamil. He had written numerous scientific publications in the medical literature.
Professional Affiliations And Honors
- Organized and presented in the 2nd International Endoscopic Ear Surgery & Temporal bone Mastery in 2017.
- Ministry of Health Service Excellence Award 2016.
- Attended the 18th Asian Research Symposium in Rhinology May 2016.
- Attended the ASEAN Academy of Neuro-Otology & Audiology Congress 2016 in Singapore.
- Organized the 7th ORL-HNS International Congress by Malaysian Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery (MSO-HNS) and 1st International Endoscopic Ear Surgery 2015.
- Participated in the Advanced Rhinology/Otology, Skull base Workshop in University of Malaya 2014.
- Attended the Ipoh Otologic Implants Workshop in Hospital Ipoh 2013.
- Attended ‘Echo training on CPG-Management of Otitis Media with Effusion in Children’ in JKN Kelantan 2013.
- Attended the Ipoh Head and Neck Cadaveric workshop in Hospital Ipoh 2012.
- Certificate of Merit in ‘Good Clinical Practice’ July 2011.
- Attended ‘Basic Statistic and Research Methodology’ workshop 2011.
- Ministry of Health Service Excellence Award 2009.
Publications (International & Local)
- A Man with Hot Potato Voice and Neck. Published in Malaysian Family Physician 2012; Volume 7, Number 1.
- Primary Bilateral Parotid Tuberculosis. Published in International medical Journal 2012; Volume 19, Number 1
- Masked rhinolith: The significance of Unilateral. Published in Malaysian Family Physician 2013; Volume 8, Number 1
- Disseminated Tuberculosis of Middle Ear Mimicking Cholesteatoma. Published in International Medical Journal 2015; Volume 22, Number 1
- A rare case of Sinonasal Angiosarcoma.Published in International Medical Journal 2015; Volume 22, Number 1
- Post motor vehicle accident with multiple jagged laceration wound.Published in Archives in Orofacial Sciences (2011), 6(2): 1-3.
- Tuberculous Otomastoiditis: a rare entity. Published in Rawal Medical Journal RMJ.2017;42(3):440-443
- Hamartomatous Polyp of the Palatine Tonsil: A Case Report.Published in International Medical Journal Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 86 – 88, February 2016
- Antifungal Effect of Malaysian Neem Leaf Extracts on Selected Fungal Species Causing Otomycosis in In-Vitro Culture Medium. Published in Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences (ISSN 1675-8544); Vol.11 (2) June 2015: 69-84
- Melioidosis Neck Abscess: An Opportunistic Infection in Diabetes Mellitus.Published in Journal of Medical Cases, ISSN 1923-4163
- Retropharyngeal Abscess: A consequence of cervical implant.Published in International Medical Journal 2017
- Missed Plummer-Vinson Syndrome Presenting as an Acute Airway Obstruction. Published in International Annals of Medicine, Vol 2: Issue 3, 2018
- Endoscopic Intracanalicular Vestibular schwannoma excision via middle ear corridors a surgical option. Published in Acta Oto-Laryngologica 28th April 2021
List of Presentations / Posters
- Southern ENT Updates 2017 in Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia. Presentation on discharging ear on 14th & 15th Sept 2017.
- National Primary Care Pharmacist symposium in Hotel Double Tree Hilton, JB. Presentation on Management of allergic rhinitis in community pharmacy according to ARIA guidelines 16 Oct 2016.
- MSOHNS -MMA ENT primary Care Forum on 16 April 2016 in Hotel DoubleTree Hilton. Presentation on Painful and discharging ears: Common External and Middle ear conditions.
- 17th National Conference on Medical and Health Sciences 2012, Universiti Sains Malaysia. Oral presentation on Disseminated Tuberculosis of Middle Ear Mimicking Cholesteatoma.
At this point of time, being a consultant in Columbia Asia, Tebrau, I have the privilege to look after my patients in JB in regards to ear, nose, throat and head & neck related diseases. This is a role that I entice as it gives me the opportunity to shine in what I do best. My approach to professional excellence is simple. I treat patients similarly as my very own. I do the very best I can for every patient referred to me. I always strive to improve my surgical skills. In theatre, I am a meticulous operator, though it may take time. For emergencies, I am always there at avail when on-call, and do not hesitate to come in at any time of the day when problem arises. In clinics and in theatre, I stay as long as it takes to accomplish and provide excellent services for my patients.
Being in medical practice in both Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Defence of Malaysia for almost 15 years, I’ve gained a vast range of experiences in clinical and practical aspects of healthcare system and not to forget and human resources management. With these, I am now able to commence a journey to rebuild and transform our healthcare system to one that upholds professionalism, patient- prioritized services and hails humanity and rights. My policy is complete transparency and honesty. I am very approachable, friendly, and have great empathy to be offered.
I believe in “getting it right at the first time”. This means more than just getting the diagnosis right. It means indulging into patients; hopes for and expectations in all aspects including treatment and lifestyle modifications. This also includes offering a detailed explanation of the limitations and risks of surgeries.